Sunday, August 8, 2010

Where I Live: Fernwood, Victoria

Ladies and gents, welcome to Fernwood and the few blocks I call home!


I'm a real fan of the 'hood. I lived on the outskirts for my first 2 years in Victoria and just moved to a great place right in the heart of Fernwood. I'm a 10 minute bike ride from work, a 2 minute walk from the Belfry Theater (where I just caught 'Billy Bishop Goes to War' last Thursday), Cornerstone Cafe (a mean americano, just my style), and the Collective Works Gallery which always has interesting, local and good art. Fernwood also has an awesome little market on Tuesday evenings with fresh local produce, craftsters, hippies, kids and Terry the Bubble Man.


What I've been enjoying most this summer is the open field behind the Fernwood Community Center where my friends and I have had great afternoons of frisbee, tree climbing and baseball (Trish and her sister actually stumbled upon our last game. Just in case you're wondering, I'm an awful pitcher. Seriously bad.) Here's a pic of me in one of the many playgrounds scattered throughout the hood.

Let's face facts, we all think that our own personal stomping grounds are the best ones possible. I think we're all a little bit right. All in all, I'm pretty sure our lower mainland is one of a kind. There's nothing like the warm feeling of flying into YVR (or YYJ) to be greeted by a misty rain after an adventure abroad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sweet Liz. Good job!