Thursday, July 7, 2011

Lily Inspiration: when things are not what they appear to be


I had to shake my head a little as I tried to figure out what I was looking at when I viewed the following photos.


discovered via Happy Mundane

I knew my brain was meant to be referencing celestial bodies, but was certain that the materials were something quite different. Don't you just love that? When your mind is suddenly jolted into really assessing something, rather than all the automatic connections we routinely process to make sense of our surroundings.

I think that is a little of what I feel when I'm second-handing and come across a rusty tool box or mini doll hands. I see the doll hands in a bin, and then imagine them cleaned up and attached to an embossed wallpapered wall, and from them dangle beautiful necklaces and earrings (I actually have to get around to making that vision a reality in the shop...). Art, like the pieces above, often provides the inspiration for those connections.

These gorgeous photographs are part of a series called Devour. They are an "investigation of worn-out fryingpans" by Christopher Jonassen - brilliant!

No comments: