Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Vancouver Update: UPCYCLED Brooches


Back in March, Erin and I commented on a customer's cute fabric floral brooch. I asked her where she got it and she replied that she had made it - cool. Upon further inquiry, it turned out that she had just made a few for herself and friends. When I express interest in carrying them in Smoking Lily, she was surprised, but interested.

Turns out Stephanie is a really motivated gal. Within a week she brought in a nice array of brooches to choose from. They sold really well. I'm sure you can see why. She creates her lovely accessories using only second-hand leather, fabric and buttons. They have a lot of personality.








Now the story turns into a Thomas The Tank Engine feel good drama. When dropping off the latest shipment today (the fourth shipment since April), she told us that she quit her day job to pursue a home-based business. So exciting for her! And so inspiring for all of us who have thought "I wonder if I could work for myself selling what I make, rather than working for someone else?" Guess what? You can! There's some Smoking Lily spirit in there, for sure!


All UPCYCLED (her new business name) brooches are just $20 each. We have a nice variety available in the Main Street (Vancouver) and Johnson Street (Victoria) shops, including lovely red poppies. We're hoping she gets carried in shops across Canada. Go Stephanie!

4 comments:

It's All Happening said...

Totally! That's an awesome story! Go Stephanie indeed. :)

granitegirl08 said...

LOVE the red poppies - how wonderful to finally have a more lasting tribute to honour & remember victims of war! Please carry these on-line, or let us know how to get outside Canada.

Smoking Lily said...

love the last photo! I think I need one, and I think we should sell them at Milk.

Smoking Lily Vancouver said...

I will send some over to Victoria on Monday for The Milkman's Daughter!